Saturday, October 3, 2009

In the Middle of the Typhoon

Well we are in the midst of Typhoon Melor. There are steady heavy rains and wind, but it is not too bad all things considered. The forecast shows that the eye of the storm will move a bit north of us, which is good, because apparently it is moving at about 130mph and is expected to increase. It is almost 10am here and the typhoon is expected to gain strength and come even with the island until about 4pm, and then slowly start to move past us.

We are doing well. I have heard there are some parts of the island that have lost power, but not where we are yet. I am not sure if there has been any flooding. The house where I'm staying is all boarded up with these special typhoon shutters so I can't see out of the house very well except for the back porch. It looks directly down on the big bay of the eastern shore. It is the most amazing sight. There is a cliff that is about 30 feet high and even though it is several miles away I can see the waves crashing all the way up the side of it and the spray shooting even higher. It is a beautiful sight from here, but I certainly wouldn't want to be anywhere near it. The ocean is definately angry this morning.

I will post again later this evening and hopefully the storm will have moved past us some. Thanks for praying everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment