Monday, October 12, 2009

Forbidden Island

Well I just finished the grueling hike to Forbidden Island. The hike was VERY steep and nearly vertical for most of it. I was exhausted when I got there, but it was very worth it. Friends first took me to a hidden pool that we had another small hike to get to. The rocks there appear to be volcanic because they are very jagged and black. The pool was very hidden in a small cave. The water was cool and very clear. I got a few pictures, but nothing can actually capture the awe-inspiring nature of that place. There was an opening to the ocean, but the tide would not come over the main part of the pool. There is another small pool beyond the main one that people sometimes go swimming in, but it is very dangerous. There is a rip tide and it will pull you out, and there is basically no way to get back. There are always a couple people that die there every year. So we were very careful and did not go close. There was no one else at the main pool and we just enjoyed it for quite a while.

Eventually we went back to the main part of the beach. When the tide is low you can actually cross the 20 feet to Forbidden Island, but today the tide was coming in and it was too dangerous to cross. We probably would have gotten across okay, but coming back would have been impossible. So we stayed on the shore of the main island and there is a deep pool there that does not get the tide. It is full of all kinds of amazing tropical fish. I borrowed Daniel's snorkeling gear and explored for a little bit. The fish were flocking around me, but I got a little scared when I got too close to a gigantic lobster! So we had lunch on the beach and laid in the shade. I put on a ton of sunscreen again today, and didn't get too burned. I am trying to be very careful with that because I am so pale and burn easily. It was a glorious day! The hike was difficult but the views were spectacular and it was absolutely worth it!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Roommate! You're going to be so ripped from all this hiking and swimming.

    ReplyDelete