Monday, September 28, 2009

Getting Started

Well I am here at last! I traveled for over 22 hours to get here and 1/3 of the way around the world. All my flights went well and my luggage came though okay. I did have one strange experience while flying, however. On my 8 hour flight from Honolulu to Guam, with nothing but reruns of CSI Miami and the DaVinci Code to entertain me, I suddenly had the odd urge to journal. What? I hate journaling! But I soon remembered that my journal, which had been written in about twice in two years, was in a box on a ship somewhere in the Pacific. So I had to content myself with Tom Hanks, my MP3 player, and cold medicine.

I finally arrived, and when I came out of the terminal in Saipan it was odd, because it was pitch black, but about 85% and so humid. Despite my short time here, I have discovered some good aspects to humidity. Yes, you always feel like you just stepped out of the shower, but it has made my laryngitis go away. My skin is also very soft, and my nose, which had been sore from my cold, is suddenly normal again.

Jake and Jackie (J and J) picked me up at the airport, and my principal came as well. Her name is Mrs. Borja and she is one of the most wonderful people I've ever met! She will be great to work with. I was determined to get on island time as quickly as possible, so I decided not to go to bed until J and J did. As a result, they took me to a birthday party for a friend of theirs. It was great to meet people right away, and I will be going out to Korean food with some of them this evening. J and J took me back to their apartment and I slept all night, waking up refreshed at 8 am. It is strange--I don't feel jet lagged at all.

So I showered, ate breakfast, and took a nice walk on the beach, which happens to be about 50 feet from J and J's apartment. Wow, was it ever beautiful! I will try to describe it, but I know I can't do it justice. The sand is soft and white, but there are large jagged boulders all over and enough glass that I don't really want to go down there without sandals. There are palm trees as well as a variety of other trees. The water is bright blue and green and warm! I will be living in Susupe, a village on the populated west shore. On the west coast there is a large, natural reef that keeps the huge waves from coming in. But about half-mile away I can see those waves crashing at the edge of the reef. Apparently the reef is perfect for wind sailing, and I certainly want to give that a try.

It is the rainy season right now so there are quite a few clouds and a strong breeze. The breeze definately helps with the humidity.

One of J and J's friends is Limson. He works at my school, MHS and he is also a real estate agent. He is helping me to find a place to live. Today we drove around to see four fully-furnished apartments near the school. We didn't actually go in to see them--he has to make an appointment with the landlord for tomorrow, so his associate, Cheri will take me to look inside tomorrow morning. There is one in particular that I really like. It is not beach front property, but it is not far. It is in a safe area close to the school, the grocery store, and the police station. I will post pictures of where ever I choose to live.

So this is getting long. Sorry. I am going to try to post pictures of the beach that I took this morning. Some of you know how bad I am with technology so it may be difficult for me, but I will try to learn.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, you're right about the humidity making noses less sore! I hadn't thought about that here, but it's totally true.
    Boo for CSI Miami, but hooray for your beach! Looks very paradisaical. I'm glad you're not too jetlagged either. Is the cold getting any better now that you've got some rest?
    Looking forward to updates about your choice of apartment!

    -Charity, Ian, and Noah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Roommate! Keep reminding me about the joy of humidity. Oh and guess what else? I saw a gecko in Jake and Jackie's apartment. She said they are very hard to catch, but I caught it. He was tiny, yellow, and cute. They call them their house geckos because they're everywhere and you can't get rid of them. Well who'd want to get rid of them, is my question.
    I had the most amazing Japanese food tonight. It was a new restaraunt and we only ordered one appetizer, but the chef brought us four additional ones on the house, in addition to the entrees we ordered. And the sashimi...caught from the ocean this morning. The restaraunt is called Oish, which is "delicious" in Japanese. It definately was oish.
    I love it here Roommate. I'll let you know when I get an apartment, which will hopefully be tomorrow, and I'll post pictures of it here.
    And yes, my cold is much better. Not completely gone, but much improved.
    When does Ian go get Moses at the airport?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, the sashimi sounds wonderful. And the geckos sound delightful! I hope your apartment is full of friendly little gecko fellows as well.
    Ian and Damo are driving up to Chicago on Wednesday, hanging around the City all Thursday, then picking up Moses on Friday morning and driving back home. It should be quite the adventure. I'll let you know how Moses is adjusting for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wahooooo!!! I'm so jealous of you, little sis. This sounds amazing! Thanks for keeping us updated. I clued Elyse and Monica in to your blog as well - so you better keep writing so we'll all know what's going on. And I must say - you wanting to journal just about knocked me out of my seat. I always knew you'd come around eventually. :) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete